Get your Greek on with this hearty meat-free moussaka that’s perfect for chilly nights. Grilled eggplant takes the place of fried for a lighter touch – simply slice and brush with olive oil. Then swap the traditional lamb for a quick lentil and mushroom ragu fragrant with cinnamon. Layer it all up in a baking dish, top with a creamy blend of ricotta and feta, then cook it in the oven until it smells so amazing you can’t resist any longer.
- 500g eggplant
- 1 red onion
- 5g garlic
- 100g portobello mushrooms
- 4g oregano
- 400g can lentils
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150g ricotta
- 50g feta
- 40g rocket
- 1 egg
- 90ml milk
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Method | Serves 2
- Preheat grill to high. Halve eggplant lengthways and cut into 5mm-thick slices. Line oven tray with foil and grease to prevent eggplant from sticking. Brush slices with oil and season. Grill eggplant for 5 mins each side or until lightly golden. Change oven to 220C.
- Meanwhile, halve onion and thinly slice, and finely chop garlic.
- Clean mushrooms and cut into 1cm pieces. Pick oregano leaves and finely chop.
- Drain and rinse lentils in a sieve.
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, garlic, mushrooms, oregano, and cinnamon for 5 mins or until the onion and mushrooms have softened, stirring regularly.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the tomatoes and lentils and 1⁄2 tsp salt and ground pepper. Cook for about 3 mins until warmed through. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk ricotta, milk, egg and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and ground pepper in a bowl until combined. Lightly grease the baking pan with oil.
- Cover base of dish with 1/3 of eggplant and spread over 1/2 of lentil mixture. Repeat, finishing with an eggplant layer. Pour over ricotta mixture and crumble over feta. Cover with foil and bake for 5 mins. Turn grill to high, remove foil and grill for 5 mins.
Thanks to our friends at Marley Spoon for the mouth watering recipe.