Do you often skip over the green bananas in favour of their yellow sisters? Well, we’re going to let you in on a secret: those green, unripe bananas are packed with health benefits! And it’s all thanks to their resistant starch. Let’s break it down.
Firstly, what is resistant starch?
Resistant starch (RS) is a type of starch that isn’t digested in the stomach or small intestine, and makes it all the way to the colon in tact. Or in other words, it ‘resists’ traditional digestion. In doing so, it works as a prebiotic that ends up feeding – and boosting – the good bacteria in the gut. As we all know, good health starts in the gut. By stimulating good bacteria, resistant starch helps to balance the gut microbiome – making you feel lighter, more energetic, and better overall. It’s no wonder the health world is going crazy for it! There are a few natural sources of resistant starch, including potatoes, green plantains and, you guessed it, green bananas.
Probiotics vs prebiotics – what’s the difference?
Both are key to good digestion. Probiotics introduce good bacteria to the gut, while prebiotics fertilise the good bacteria that’s already there. While you can take supplements, probiotics and prebiotics are also found in some foods.
The benefits of resistant starch
- Soothes the gut. As a prebiotic, green banana resistant starch encourages the growth of good bacteria and fungi in the gut, helping to seal it and heal it.
- Enhances digestive and colon health. The starch sails through the intestines unchanged, making digestion a smoother process and reducing diarrhoea.
- Revs up the metabolism. By blocking the body’s ability to use carbohydrates as fuel, RS speeds up fat burning and boosts energy. Yes, please.
- Aids weight loss. Resistant starch is not only satiating, but it stabilises blood sugars, meaning you’ll feel satisfied after eating it. No more reaching for seconds!
- Lowers blood glucose levels. It can improve insulin sensitivity, and in turn, prevent those dreaded blood sugar spikes after meals.
- Decreases inflammation. Certain foods inflame the gut, and resistant starch creates the healthy bacteria to combat that.
- Improves absorption of nutrients. RS does a stellar job at helping the body to absorb antioxidants and minerals like calcium, which promotes healthy bones and teeth.
Did you know? Along with resistant starch, green bananas are high in goodies like vitamin B6, vitamin C and potassium.
How should I consume resistant starch?
Natural Evolution has made it easy with their high-grade Green Banana Resistant Starch. Made with Lady Finger bananas, the starch is rich in vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and bio-actives, and free from nasty additives and preservatives. Here at GoodnessMe Box, we love to add a tablespoon to smoothies, tea, and muesli, and use it to thicken up soups. It’s also a brilliant gluten-free baking powder, and tastes great just mixed in with water. Get creative!
Did you know these facts about green banana resistant starch? Are you keen to try it?