You’ll be well on your way to hitting your five serves of veg a day with these simple skewers. What's better is that they are teamed with delicious halloumi, the ultimate cheese to grill.
- 10 bamboo skewers
- 200g (1 cup) basmati rice
- 1 lemon
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red capsicum
- 90g button mushrooms
- 125g halloumi
- 1 garlic clove
- 15g mint
- 2 tbs tahini paste
- 150g Greek-style yoghurt
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Method | Serves 2
- Put the bamboo skewers in a tray and cover them with water.
- Wash the rice under cold water. Place in a medium saucepan with 2 cups water and a pinch salt.
- Grate lemon zest (reserve lemon for later) and add to the pan. Bring to the boil and cook, covered, over very low heat for 8 mins. Turn off heat and stand, covered, for a further 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchini into 2 cm slices. De-seed the capsicum and cut into 2cm pieces. Wipe the mushrooms with a cloth. Cut halloumi into 2cm cubes.
- Thread the vegetables and halloumi onto skewers alternating them as you go. Brush with 1 tbs oil.
- Heat a chargrill pan over medium-high heat and cook the kebabs for 8-10 mins turning halfway through until vegetables and halloumi are lightly charred and tender. Meanwhile crush the garlic and finely chop the mint leaves reserving 1⁄3 for garnish. Combine the yoghurt, tahini paste, chopped mint and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the crushed garlic to taste.
- Fluff up the rice and squeeze over the juice from the lemon. Spoon onto plates and serve with the kebabs, tahini yoghurt and reserved mint leaves.
Thanks to our friends at Marley Spoon for this delicious recipe.