If you and your work buddies are trying to eat healthier in the office, the key is to have some healthy snacks and ingredients on hand – so you don’t all end up eating something that leaves you feeling ‘blah’ straight after. Here’s what the GMB team are sharing around the office lately. By Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor Melissa Fine.
1. Dark Choc-Banana Mug Cake
For those of you whose work has access to a kitchen, why not utilise it and keep a few ingredients handy in the fridge and pantry to make a healthy mug cake…a nutritious (and delicious!) alternative to that mud cake/banana bread that always seems to be going around the office come 3.30.
Here is my current favourite mug cake recipe:
Serves 2-4 (depending on how much you’re willing to share!)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 free range egg
- ½ a medium ripe-very ripe banana
- 1 heaped tsp rice malt syrup
- ¼ Cup almond meal
- 1 Tbsp desiccated coconut or coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp cacao or cocoa
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- Add the coconut oil to a mug; if it’s not already a liquid-consistency, microwave it on high for about 1 minute or until melted.
- Add the egg to the mug and whisk well. Then add the banana and rice malt syrup and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mug and mix again.
- Microwave on high for about 1.5 minutes, or until the top of the muffin is cooked through.
- Place mug upside down on a plate; it should slide right out. Cut in half, thirds or quarters and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before devouring with your colleagues.
2. Brown Rice Cakes with Mixed Toppings
A fun and healthier take on mixed white bread sandwiches, this is a fun snack to share around the office, and everyone can bring in their favourite toppings…You’re also less likely to eat the whole bag of rice cakes yourself if you’re sharing, and by adding toppings rich in protein or healthy fats, a couple rice cakes should keep you satiated till dinner.
Some sweet and savoury topping combos we’re loving:
- 100% peanut butter with sliced banana or strawberries
- Cottage cheese with a drizzle of rice malt syrup and cinnamon
- Avocado, sliced cheddar and tomato
- Dry roasted and salted almond butter with gouda
- Tahini and smoked salmon (even more delish with a squeeze of lemon)
3. Australian Superfood Co bar
This is one I stash in my desk or handbag; handy when I feel like my blood sugar’s coming down and I need a little something to keep me going at work.
One of the most unique snack bars I’ve tried yet, the Australian Superfood Co bar comes in flavours like ‘Desert Tribe Tropical’; with vitamin C-packed Kakadu plum, mango, pineapple, coconut and cashews, this raw bar is the perfect combo of sweet and tart. And thanks to the filling fibre, healthy fats and protein, it really satisfies…and may be too good to share with your colleagues ;)