Marc Sophoulis, world-renowned tennis coach and Blackmores partner has contributed to the careers of tennis players Anastasia and Arina Rodionova, Monique Adamczak, Romanian Victor Hanescu, Indian Davis Cup player Karan Rastogi and Chinese Davis Cup player Di Wu.
His track record has seen him recognised as one of a handful of certified Talent Development Coaches by Tennis Australia as well as winning the "Under 30 Victorian Coach of the Year" in 2011. That makes him a first port of call for junior stars from Tennis Australia’s ranks.
We thought it would be great to see speak to Marc and see what healthy meals he has his clients eating pre and post match.
What are some health foods tennis players generally eat pre-match?##
Tennis players generally aim to eat a main meal 2-4 hours before a match. This should be familiar, easy to digest and be high in carbohydrates (a main fuel source for muscles and our brains).
Some examples include:###
- English muffins / toast + cottage cheese + sliced banana + honey
- Porridge / bircher muesli with milk / yoghurt + fruit
- Sandwiches / wraps / rolls with chicken + salad
- Pasta with Bolognese sauce
- Low fat fried rice OR rice with meat + veggies
- Players that struggle to eat or suffer from nerves before a match should try a liquid carbohydrate meal, such as: Banana, oats, honey, milk / yoghurt + ice smoothie.
Given the unpredictable nature of tennis match schedules, players should have a range of carbohydrate snacks on hand to top up fuel stores in the 1-2 hours leading up to the match. Additional snacks can be consumed each hour should a match be delayed. For example:
- Fruit / fruit salad / tinned fruit
- Squeeze yoghurt / flavoured milk
- Muesli bars
- Rice crackers
- Low fat fruit muffin / scone
- Rice cakes with peanut butter and sliced banana
Players should be focused on staying hydrated in the lead up to a match by sipping on water or electrolytes in hot conditions.
What are some health foods that tennis players generally eat post-match?##
Recovery meals and snacks should contain carbohydrates (for refuelling), protein (to help repair muscle damage) and vitamins / minerals / anti-oxidants (to boost the immune system). To help recover quicker this meal should be consumed within 30-60 minutes of finishing a match.
Some examples of recovery foods to eat post-tennis match include:###
- Banana, berry, spinach, milk, yoghurt + ice smoothie
- Flavoured milk + trail mix, including unsalted nuts and seeds
- Greek yoghurt + crackers & cheese
- Wholemeal wrap with chicken, avocado, cheese + salad
- Pasta with Bolognese sauce + salad
- Rice + fish + veggies
Blackmores is empowering Australians to take control of their health and wellbeing. The Blackmores innovative Wellbeing Check, which provides a personalised health summary to support you reach your goals and to help you feel your best. To start your wellbeing journey, visit www.wellbeingcheck.com.au. Speak to your healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist. Always read the label. Use only as directed. Supplements may only be of assistance if dietary intake is inadequate.