The best thing about Teff Grain (aside from it's wealth of health benefits) is it's versatility! Here's a simple recipe for home-made sushi using Teff Tribe's Teff Grain, that is packed full of vitamins, fibre and protein. Once you master this the options to include in your sushi filling are endless - happy creating!
Recipe: Teff Grain Vegan Sushi
Serves 2 | GF | DF | V
- 1/2 cup Ivory or Brown Teff Tribe Grain
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 carrots
- 1 avocado
- Sheets of nori
- Gluten-free soy sauce
- A sushi mat
- Picked ginger (optional)
- Wasabi (optional)
- Combine the water and teff in a sauce pan over medium high heat, add a sprinkle of salt. When the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In the mean time, cut the avocado into cubes , wash the carrots and cut into strips.
- Once the teff is cooked, transfer to a medium bowl and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Once the teff is no longer steaming, place a sheet of nori on the sushi mat. Take 3 spoonful of teff and spread it on the nori, and take some of the avocado and carrots and add those as well.
- Start rolling the sushi and make sure that you tighten the mat and it forms a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Cut sushi roll into small pieces, enjoy with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.