There's a new trend dominating the foodie world in the shape of Supercharged Sweet Potato Toast! Gluten free foodies can rejoice in this delicious slow energy releasing and inexpensive breakfast. The topping opportunities are endless too with both sweet and savoury options pairing nicely.
Lee Holmes shares three of her favourites. Golden, guilt free and gluten-less slices of goodness are the go!
Slice sweet potato length ways into slices about 0.5-1cm thick (this will depend on how much knife control you have as well as the quality of your knifes!)
Put in toaster for between 2 to 4 rounds on high, making sure it doesn’t burn Tip: use chopsticks to manoeuvre them out of the toaster if they get stuck!
Topping #1: Cinnamon Swirl Nut Butter and Berry Chia Jam
- 3 tbsp Nut butter of choice
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh Strawberries or raspberries
- Squeeze of Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Rice malt syrup or stevia or raw honey
- To make the jam, mash berries with a fork for a more chunky jam, or blitz quickly in a blender. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and rice malt syrup or stevia. Stir in the chia seeds and let sit for 15 minutes.
- To make the nut butter, add a good pinch of cinnamon to your favourite nut butter and swirl in
- To assemble the toast, spread on the nut butter, drizzle with chia jam and top with fresh berries, toasted coconut and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon
Topping #2: Hummus and Tomato Bruschetta
- 3 tbsp hummus
- 1/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 tbsp chopped red onion
- Chopped coriander
- 1 tsp olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all ingredients except for hummus in a bowl
- To assemble toast, spread with hummus and top with tomato and cucumber mixture
Topping #3: Smavo and Feta
- 1/2 a small avocado OR 1/4 of a large one
- 2 tbsp good quality feta, crumbled
- Toasted pepitas
- Salt and pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Smash avo with a fork into toast
- Top with feta, pepitas, salt, pepper and lemon juice
- Optional: Add a poached egg on top!
For more healthy recipe inspiration, visit our blog.