Cold nights call for a pot of steamy hot nourishing soup! We've found a winner that'll hit the spot and make you feel all warm'n'fuzzy on the inside (Winter, we're ready for you!) Have a crack at whipping up this vegan, protein-packed chunky soup that'll take you less than 20mins to make. It's a cinch!
- 1.2kg ripe roma tomatoes, halved
- 2 red capsicums, trimmed, seeded and cut into 6 wedges
- To taste, McKenzie's Himalayan Pink Salt & Pepper Blend
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup McKenzie's SuperBlend Protein
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml salt reduced vegetable stock
- To serve, natural (or coconut) yoghurt & basil
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the tomatoes and capsicums on the baking trays, drizzle with half the olive oil and season with salt and pepper blend. Roast for an hour or until the capsicum is tender. Peel the skin from capsicum once cooked.
- In a medium saucepan with 3 cups boiling water, add 1 cup SuperBlend Protein. Cover and cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionally for approximately 15 minutes or until grains are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the paprika, cumin and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes or until celery is tender.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes and cook for a further 8-10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the roasted tomatoes, capsicum and cooked SuperBlend Protein. Use a hand-held blender to puree until smooth. Return the pan to a low to medium heat. Add stock, season to taste and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with natural yoghurt and some finely chopped basil.
Recipe courtesy of Mackenzie's Foods