Like many people, you might not realise what's exactly inside your regular salt and spice mix. It's important to know the facts, so we've asked our GMB Health Advisor, Nutritionist Melissa Fine to explain what makes A.Vogel's Herbamare Spicy Seasoning so special and unique.
Be sure to check out the delicious and super easy mexican avocado and bean burrito recipe using Herbamare Spicy for some dinner inspo below.
1. How is this Herbamare Spicy different to most regular store bought spice packet mixes?
It’s all natural, for one! While many commercial spice mixes contain highly processed ingredients like dextrose (sugar!), canola oil, anti-caking agent, vegetable gums and undesirable MSG (AKA flavour enhancer), the ingredients in Herbamare Spicy are the real deal: just 12 fresh, organically grown herbs and vegetables (a combo put together by renowned Swiss Naturopath A. Vogel), sea salt, plus a touch of horseradish, chilli and pepper for a bit of a kick.
We also like the slow ‘n’ steady way that the product comes together, with the fresh ingredients being combined with natural sea salt, and then steeped for up to 12 months. Under a low temperature, a special vacuum process then removes any moisture, ensuring the salt crystals absorb the goodness and flavour of the herbs and vegetables…yum!
2. Is Herbamare vegan-friendly?
It sure is! While milk-derived whey powder is often found in herb and spice blends on the supermarket shelf, like its Original sibling, Herbamare Spicy contains nothing but plant-derived goodness.
3. How can I use Herbamare Spicy in my cooking?
From barbecued meats and fish to Mexican, Indian and Italian-inspired dishes, there’s so much you can do with Herbamare Spicy…we love it in homemade nachos, or as a spice rub for barramundi on the barbie.
Don’t do spicy food? All good, the spice in this blend is only subtle, so it won’t overpower the flavours in your cooking or leave your mouth on fire!
Recipe: Spicy Mexican Avocado and Bean Burrito
Vegan | GF | Serves 4-5 People
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 avocados, slightly mashed
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lime, juice
- 210g of re-fried beans, 1 can
- 230g of drained cooked black beans, 1 box or can
- 50g of sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 10g of jalapeños, sliced
- A.Vogel Herbamare Spicy Seasoning, sprinkle to taste
- 130g of tinned sweetcorn
- Gluten-free tortilla wraps
- In a wok or pan, add in the cherry tomatoes and allow to cook on low for around 10 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Place the avocados into a bowl and mash & Sprinkle A.Vogel Herbamare Spicy Seasoning to taste.
- Mix in the crushed garlic cloves, lime juice, refried beans, black beans, sun-dried tomatoes, jalapeños, A.Vogel Herbamare Spicy Seasoning, and tinned sweetcorn until combined, then add in the cooked tomatoes. If you’d rather have your burrito warm, you can add these to the pan for a few minutes first.
- Lay the tortilla wraps flat and fill each wrap with some of the delicious Mexican filling, roll the burrito and wrap the bottom in foil (this helps the yummy mixture to stay in the wrap).
- Enjoy with some homemade guacamole or salsa! YUM