This recipes comes from this month 'In The Box' recipe contributor, GMB's very own wholefood cook and operations manager Kara Conroy @satoriforthesoul.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3⁄4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons Superfood mix (IsoWhey or Nature’s Buzz)
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄2 cup rice malt syrup, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coffee powder, brewed in 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 x can full-fat coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Granola to garnish
Method | Makes 12 Squares
- Preheat oven to 160°C (150°C for fan forced) and line a 20x30cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Combine the almond meal, raw cacao powder, superfood mix & salt in a bowl.
- Mix together the coconut oil, rice malt syrup, eggs and vanilla and add to dry ingredients. Stir well to combine until a nice batter forms.
- Pour the mixture into lined tin and smooth evenly with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer comes out relatively clean. You may want to adjust your cooking time depending on your oven or how soft you like your squares.
- Cool in the tin then cut into squares.
- Brew the ground coffee in 3 tablespoons boiling water then strain it through a fine sieve. Alternatively if you have a plunger you can use that.
- Remove the coconut cream from the fridge and carefully open the can without shaking or tipping.
- Scoop the thick coconut cream layer into a chilled bowl then add the rice malt syrup and vanilla. You can reserve the coconut water/milk for smoothies.
- Using electric beaters, whip the coconut cream on high for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Place the bowl covered in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill & firm.
- Spread a dollop on each superfood square and sprinkle with granola to serve.
- Keep remaining cream in the fridge until ready to serve more squares.
Tip: You can melt your coconut oil, rice malt syrup & nut butter together in a bowl over simmering water.