Chocolate Granola first thing in the morning has caught our attention. Katinka Day, known as The Thoughtful Eater shares one of her favourite recipes with us:
“This seems like a very decadent breakfast but is surprisingly not that naughty especially considering it is so delicious. I love this as a stand-alone breakfast, a treat on some yoghurt or a topping on a smoothie breakfast bowl. Made with an array of grains and cocoa powder it contributes to your daily dietary fibre and anti-oxidant intake”
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup almonds & hazelnuts, crushed or roughly chopped
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbs honey or agave
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients (oats, nuts, coconut and chia seeds) together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut oil, honey, vanilla essence and cocoa powder.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry slowly, mixing as you go.
- Mix until all the dry ingredients are coated with the coconut oil/cocoa mixture.
- Spread the granola on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take out of the oven and mix well.
- Place in the oven for another 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Leave to cool then store in an air tight container for up to 4 weeks (however I doubt you will leave it for this long..)
Discover more of Katinka’s recipes: www.thoughtfuleater.org