By GMB Nutritionist MelissaFine
A healthy ice cream sandwich might sound like an oxymoron, but it really is a thing!
Think smooth, melt-in-your-mouth banana ‘ice cream’ wedged between two plant-based biccies…now I have your attention! Or perhaps not if you’ve put this in the “too hard” basket…but hear me out!
You can get the biccies in this recipe – Kez’s Kitchen Raw Choc Nut Cookies - from the supermarket…they’re gluten free and made from plant-based wholefoods like high protein peanuts, fibre-rich dates, and antioxidant-rich almonds – definitely a tide-you-over, craving crushing, GMB-approved biccie!
And the ‘ice cream’ is made entirely from banana – no blending needed! The banana slices in the recipe turn super creamy once frozen and provide all the sweetness you need. By keeping the slices in tact rather than blending them, the sandwich holds together nicely (and removes the steps of blending the bananas, freezing them before scooping them between the two biccies).
This recipe requires just five minutes of prep.
Raw Choc Banana Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
- 2 x Kez’s Kitchen Free & Naked Raw Choc Nut Cookies
- ½ a medium ripe-very ripe banana, sliced into rounds (the riper the banana, the sweeter and creamier your ‘ice cream’)
- A handful of fresh or frozen raspberries to garnish
- 1 Tbsp cacao nibs
- Place the cookies side by side on a chopping board. Assemble 3-4 banana rounds on top of one of the cookies, followed by another layer of 3-4 banana rounds. Place the other cookie on top of banana-topped cookie, pressing it down gently but firmly. Gently press any banana rounds sticking out back in, so that they’re secure between the two cookies.
- Place on a baking paper-lined plate or tray in the freezer for at least 4 hours – you want the sandwich to be fully frozen that so that it holds itself together.
- Assemble on a plate sprinkled with raspberries and cacao nibs and eat your heart out!
Pro-tip: Coconut milk ice cream also works a treat wedged between Kez’s Cookies.