5 healthy homemade go to snack ideas for busy people by Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor Melissa Fine.
With our on-the-go schedules, there’s not always time to make or bake a healthy snack. If grabbing something not-so-healthy from the local café or convenience store is becoming a bit too regular a habit, here are five snack recipes that you can whip up in 1-10 minutes – No oven required.
1) No-Bake ‘Halva’ Biccies
Gluten free, fructose free and vegan, these happen to be delicious too.
Makes 9 biscuits.
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour (from health food stores/the dried fruit and nut section at supermarkets)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla protein powder (I used pea protein)
- ¼ Cup hulled tahini
- 2 Tbsp coconut butter (from health food stores)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tsp rice malt syrup
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- tiny pinch salt
- Add all the ingredients to a blender, cover and blend for about 1 minute, or until the ingredients form a nicely combined, smooth mixture. You may need to stop the blender a couple of times to scrape the mixture down from the sides.
- Scoop the mixture out the blender and roll into 9 balls, placing them on a small, lined baking tray or dish.
- Gently press the top of each biscuit with a fork to make them look pretty.
- Cover the tray with cling wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour to firm. Or, if you can’t wait that long, these will firm up faster in the freezer. Enjoy!
2) Peanut Butter Choc Protein Mousse
A regular on my snack-rotation; You’ll want to make this again and again.
- 2 tsp chocolate protein powder (I use pea protein)
- heaped tsp cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 heaped Tbsp smooth, natural peanut butter
- ½ tsp rice malt syrup
- splash almond/coconut milk to thin
Add all ingredients except the milk to a small, single-serve bowl or teacup, stirring until smooth and combined. Add a splash or two of milk and stir again.
3) Medjool Date Stuffed with Nut Butter
Especially delicious with almond butter and a teeny sprinkle of sea salt…This gives you some protein, fibre and healthy fats, which all will help keep you full until lunch or dinner. Satisfies a sweet tooth too.
4) One Minute Miso
My go-to savoury snack: Simply add 2-3 tsp of light (‘shiro’) miso paste to a mug of just-boiled water. Some other nice add-ins: Some firm tofu for some protein and to bulk it up, ½ a small zucchini or red capsicum, chopped (the boiled water will lightly cook these through).
5) D.I.Y Bliss Balls
Googling bliss ball recipes but don’t have half the ingredients on hand? Check out the bliss ball kits by Orgamix, which come in flavours like Choc Mint and Fruit ‘n’ Nut (yum!); With everything you need for homemade bliss balls and all in the right ratio, you just have to add water, stir, roll, refrigerate and voila! I love that this a one-bowl, no-blend recipe too.
Find out more about Orgamix D.I.Y Bliss Balls at orgamix.com.au