If you are one of those people who doesn't have much time for breakfast in the morning this recipe is the one for you! Amy Crawford from The Holistic Ingredient shares with us a perfect on the go breakfast.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- Seeds 2 vanilla pods (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder)
- 2 tablespoons sultanas/raisins
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or rice malt syrup, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Place the oats and almond milk in a bowl. Add the vanilla seeds, maple syrup or ;rice malt syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins (and anything else you fancy). Cover and place in the fridge to soak overnight.
- The following morning, pour your milky oat mixture into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover with the lid and cook over low heat until the oats have absorbed the milk and are moist and tender yet slightly firm. Stir occasionally to ensure the oats don't stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Total cooking time if you have soaked the oats overnight is approximately 15 - 20 minutes. Add the scoop of powder if you are using at this point.
- Divide the oatmeal into two bowls. You may like to garnish with poached fruit, raw honey or roasted pecans. Delicious served cold also! Here we have served ours with pears poached in raspberries, rice malt syrup and water.