I am a self-admitted breakfast food addict, and if I could, I’d most likely live on bowls of oats and banana icecream and cereal (alas, a girl needs her greens). As well as being passionate about creating yummy vegan food, I also love to get my body moving by running, doing yoga and playing soccer. Anyhow, I’ll stop my rambling now and show you guys my day on a plate!
The weather was peeeeerfect this morning, so I decided to go for a jog. I ran for about 30 or so minutes then headed home.
I can’t get through a morning without a yummy, sustaining brekky so I also opt for a good balance of carbs, fat and protein to start my day and refuel after any morning exercise. Today’s was strawberries and coconut milk oatmeal with banana, more strawberries and flaked almonds.
I tend to get the munchies late morning, especially on days like today where I’ve worked my brain smashing out uni work. Today’s study break snack was a baked banana, cut open and smushed with coconut peanut butter, mulberries and frozen raspberries.
I had to head into uni to finish up a few loose ends for a group assignment so I brought a packed lunch to munch on the bus. This Tupperware container had some brown rice and lentils, plus leftover Moroccan tagine from last night’s dinner.
Again, I’m a snack fiend so I like to break up my afternoon with something delicious. As mentioned earlier, I’m also a breakfast food addict, so naturally my snacks are usually breakfast-y… This was a bowl of homemade buckwheat granola chunks, sorghum puffs, corn puffs, lots of fresh fruit served with almond milk. (I snacked on the other half of the banana as I made this haha!)
I usually get bored around this time of day, so it’s the perfect opportunity for me to get some yoga in! I practiced for about half an hour today, and I finally held pincha pose off the wall with no support ☺
I like to have an early-ish dinner so my food can digest before I head to bed. My favourite dinners at the moment are baked potato chippies, dips like hummus/guac, and a big side salad, or soup and crusty sourdough, or brown rice pasta with my homemade tomato sauce… mmmm. But tonight’s dinner was another simple favourite, quinoa with roast veggies in cumin and paprika along with a turmeric tahini dressing – nom!
Strawberries and (Coconut) Cream Oatmeal Recipe
What you’ll need
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup liquid of choice (I used half water, half coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp shredded/desiccated coconut
- Coconut milk to serve
- Chop your banana and strawberries into slices. Reserve half the banana to serve with your oats after cooking. Mash the other half.
- Place the oats, chia seeds, mashed banana, coconut and liquid in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and allow to simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are nice and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla and some of the chopped strawberries (keeping some to serve after). When combined, and the strawberries have gone a bit gooey, take off the heat.
- Serve with the remaining banana, strawberries, and any other toppings of choice! Then drown in coconut milk and enjoy a delicious, nourishing brekky!