Have your cake and eat it too with this healthy version of an old favourite. By Nutritionist and Health Editor Melissa Fine
- 4-6 mandarins (400g approx) plus 1 extra, to serve
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- 200g ground hazelnuts (hazelnut meal)
- 1 cup Natvia/Stevia
- 50g cocoa powder
- Place whole mandarins (including rind) in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.
- Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut in half and remove pips.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and spray a spring-form pan with oil.
- Process mandarins in a blender, then add eggs, baking powder, bicarb soda, ground hazelnuts, Natvia and cocoa powder. Blend to a smooth batter.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 45-60 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin.
- Peel remaining mandarin, removing all the white pith, slice thinly and decorate cake.