Having some guests over for afternoon tea? Or simply want to indulge a little bit (the healthy way). Try recreating this melt-in-your-mouth gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free blueberry and lemon cake recipe.
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- ½ cup Heilala Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup liquid or softened honey
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon Heilala Vanilla Extract or Heilala Vanilla Paste
- ½ teaspoon Heilala Ground Vanilla Powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 heaped cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked in cold water for 6 hours, rinsed and drained well
- ¼ cup melted Heilala Coconut Oil
- 3 tablespoons liquid or softened honey
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Seeds of 1 Heilala Vanilla Bean
Method | Serves 10
- Preheat the oven to 165⁰C. Grease and line a 21cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the cake ingredients, except the blueberries.
- Gently fold in the blueberries to avoid staining the whole cake blue. Do not over mix.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until very smooth (or use a small food processor).
- Add more lemon juice if you need to thin frosting to ensure it is smooth.
- Place frosting in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to firm up.
- Spread frosting over the top of the cake.
Thanks to our friends at Heilala Vanilla for this recipe.