Have some extra eggs lying around in the cupboard that need to be used up? Why not whip up this delicious and healthy homemade tart that is bound to have you running back for seconds.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup softened Heilala Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- rosemary leaves
- 1 egg
- 1-3 tablespoons cold water
- 5 eggs
- 1 tightly packed cup of chopped kale leaves, stems removed and massaged for 1 minute until softened
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheddar or edam cheese
- ¼ - ½ cup full cream milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method | Serves 4-6
- To make the tart crust: place the spelt flour, buckwheat flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process for 20 seconds. Add the Heilala Coconut Oil, olive oil and rosemary and process until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and 2 tablespoons water and process (adding the remaining water if necessary), until the dough begins to come together.
- Remove from the food processor and form into a flat disc.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Well grease a 20cm fluted tart tin. On a lightly floured bench top (or a large piece of baking paper), roll out the dough until about ½ cm thick. Lay dough over the top of the tart tin and gently press into the tin, folding excess over the edge of the tin.
- Roll the rolling pin over the edge and remove excess dough.
- Lightly prick the base with a fork. Scrunch up a piece of baking paper to soften it and then place on top of the pastry, ensuring the paper comes up the sides. Fill with rice or baking weights.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully remove the& rice and baking paper. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. (Tart case can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time).
- To make the filling: Place eggs in a bowl and lightly beat. Add kale, garlic, thyme, cheese, milk and nutmeg. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour into the tart case and place in the oven (preheated to 180C) to bake for about 30 minutes until the egg is lightly set.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 15 minutes before cutting into wedges for serving.
Thanks to our friends at Heilala Vanilla for this recipe.