By Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor Melissa Fine.
Cauliflower pizza can be awesome, but here’s a Healthy Pizza Recipe for when you want something closer to the real deal…This recipe uses spelt, an ancient form of wheat that I’m a big fan of because it’s easier to digest than typical wheat flour.
- 1 cup wholegrain or wholemeal spelt flour (from health food stores)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 120 ml warm water
- pinch salt (I like unbleached varieties from the health food store)
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 1 box Ceres Chopped Tomatoes Combisafe Pack, excess liquid drained (I like this product because it tastes super fresh and uses BPA-free, sustainable packaging)
- ¼ C fresh basil leaves, torn
- 100 g mozzarella cheese, sliced (or sub with your favourite cheese, or cashew ‘cheese’ if you’re vegan or don’t do dairy – You could also skip the cheese for a bruschetta-style pizza)
- ½ C rocket, washed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Sift flour into a large bowl and then add remaining ingredients for base, mixing everything together with a large/wooden spoon until evenly combined.
- With a rolling pin, roll dough out on a countertop or board dusted with spelt flour; There should be enough dough to make two round or square bases.
- Gently lift each base and place on a baking tray lined with non-stick paper.
- Spread tomato paste evenly onto bases and pile chopped tomatoes on top.
- Top with cheese slices and basil.
- Bake for 10 mins or until cheese has melted and base is nice and crisp.
- Sprinkle rocket on top and serve with a big colourful salad dressed with balsamic and olive oil. That’s it! Here’s to pizza without the bloat.