By Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health EditorMelissa Fine.
For those days when nothing but a big bowl of pasta will do...
1) Sicilian Lentil Spaghetti
- 1 Packet Slendier Spaghetti
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can brown lentils, drained
- 1 tsp dried chilli
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 can crushed tomato
- 1 tsp olive oil
- parsley, to garnish
- grated parmesan cheese, to garnish (if desired)
- Prepare Slendier Spaghetti as per instructions on the pack and set aside.
- In a large saucepan add oil and gently heat; Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add celery and zucchini to pan; Cook until tender.
- Add canned tomato, dried chilli and tomato paste to pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer. Add drained brown lentils and stir.
- Toss in prepared Slendier Spaghetti and heat through.
Thanks Slendier HQ for the recipe. See original recipe here
2) Miso in a Mug
Noodle-y and umami, this is super satisfying…Comfort food without the carbs.
- 1 serve shirataki noodles
- 1 Tbsp Shiro (light) miso paste (from Asian grocers/health food stores)
- 1 serve shiritaki noodles
- 1 TBS dulse seaweed flakes (optional)
- +- 200 ml just-boiled water
Spoon the miso into a mug; Add boiled water and give it a good stir so the miso dissolves into a nice broth. Add the noodles and dulse. Leave to sit for about 5 mins so the noodles soften and voila!
3) Turkey and Mushroom Fettucine
- 1 packet Slendier Organic Fettuccine
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 250g turkey breast
- 200g flat mushrooms, roughly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Tbsp liquid chicken stock (reduced salt)
- 1/2 Cup light natural yoghurt
- ½ Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ¼ Avocado, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill
- 2 Cups mixed salad leaves, tossed in white wine vinegar and pepper - to serve
- Prepare Slendier as per instructions on the back of the packet. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Season turkey with a small amount of pepper before adding it to the pan; Cook for 4 mins each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 1 tsp oil over pan again on a high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring often for 5-6 mins or until tender.
- Stir in stock, yoghurt, mustard. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium heat and simmer for 10 mins or until sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Slice turkey across the grain. Add to the pasta sauce and toss to combine.
- Carefully toss in the avocado and dill, season with pepper and serve with a side of salad greens.
Another one from the Slendier team – Thanks guys! Check out the original recipe here
4) Peanut Zoodles!
Serves 1-2 (but recipe can easily be made for more people).
So I’ve finally hopped on the veggie spiraliser train…This thing is fun! It really can turn a simple dish into a special one.
- 1.5 large zucchinis, ends cut off (or 3 small)
- 1 heaped Tbsp 100% peanut butter
- 1 tsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- ½ tsp mirin
- ¼ tsp rice malt syrup (or honey)
- 1 Tbsp roasted peanuts
- Spiralise the zucchini; If you don’t have a spiraliser, simply peel the zucchini lengthways for zucchini fettucine.
- Then, in a small bowl, combine peanut butter, tamari, mirin and rice malt for the sauce, adding a little hot water to thin to desired consistency.
- Pour sauce over zoodles and toss well.
- Top with roasted peanuts and you have a big ‘noodle’ dish that will really up your vegie quota for the day ;) If you want your zoodles a little softer, leave them to marinate for 10-20 mins (so they ‘wilt’ a bit).
Slendier Organic Fettucine is a low calorie low carb good source of fibre which is gluten free and vegan with only 8 calories per 100g. Visit their website to find out more www.slendier.com_