Is your skin in need of some TLC? The solution for better skin is likely to be in your pantry…Not just for cooking with, certain plant-based oils can also be worth including in your skincare regime. By Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor Melissa Fine.
1) Walnut Oil
The naturally occurring oils in walnuts are a rich plant source of omega-3, an essential fatty acid we need to obtain from food, as the body can’t produce it.
So what can omega-3 do for our skin? Not only does it promote better blood flow, giving our skin a greater oxygen supply, omega-3 also mediates skin cell behavior; A component of cell membranes, omega-3 fats support skin health by:
- Transporting beneficial nutrients into, and waste products out of cells; Think of this as a skin detox
- Reducing inflammatory processes in skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis
- Hydrating the skin
- Promoting cell renewal
Apart from walnuts being an easy wholefood snack, they also make for an awesome body scrub, like in Willow & Charlie’s Walnut and Oat 3-IN-1 Scrub. Together with the oats in here, walnut helps to gently remove dead skin while locking in moisture.
2) Almond Oil
This edible oil is rich in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that’s easily absorbed by the skin. Apart from being a natural and effective moisturiser, the vitamin E in almonds and their oil can:
- Help protect the ‘epidermis’, the skin’s most superficial layer, from environmental oxidative stress, whether that be from pollution, pesticides or cigarette smoke
- Lessen the appearance of stretch marks and scars – when almond oil is applied topically It’s also worth including almonds in your diet, so you can nourish your skin from the inside out. Add a handful of chopped raw almonds to your muesli or salad, or try my favourite combo – creamy almond butter and banana on toast…Yum! Salty and savoury tamari almonds also make for a super moreish snack.
3) Coconut Oil
Apart from making everything taste awesome (I especially love it in my tofu stir-fry and banana bread), coconut oil serves as an all-natural, multipurpose beauty product - and one that can be worth including in your skincare regime.
Coconut oil absorbs nicely so is particularly good for moisturising and conditioning dry skin or chapped lips. It will leave your skin with a dewy glow and you’ll smell heavenly – I love the tropical, nutty, slightly sweet smell of coconut oil.
And because of its antibacterial role (due to components like its lauric acid content), coconut oil can be good for applying to blemishes and wounds, which explains why you’ll find it in good quality skincare products. Willow & Charlie have included it in their scrub to help extract impurities, without being harsh on the skin.
Willow & Charlie's Walnut and Oat 3-IN-1 Scrub.This water based product is rich in nourishing oils, and accounts for over 30% of the product’s content, meaning you will drop that old ‘good for nothing’ scrub and fall in love all over again! While the oats and walnut gently removes dead skin, the kaolin clay extracts impurities, and the oils leave a midas touch of velvety soft skin. Use it as is, take it for walks, give it to friends or simply admire it from a distance, which ever way you choose, you’ll be coming back for more.
- All skin types
- Removes dead skin cells
- Extracts impurities
- Moisturises and conditions
- 99% from natural origin