This scrumptious recipe comes from blogger, author, holistic health and wellness coach and wholefoods chef Lee Homes. Who said breakfast had to be boring! This recipe is so yummy and has no hidden nasties like some store bought breakfast items do. If you don't believe us try it for yourself!
- 300 g (101/2 oz/11/2 cups) quinoa or brown rice flakes
- 1 x 75 gm packet Brook Farm Brothers Blend nuts
- 90 g (31/4 oz/3/4 cup) chopped walnuts
- 75 g (21/2 oz/1/2 cup) dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons almond flakes
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 30 ml (2 fl oz/1/8 cup) coconut butter
- 30 ml (2 fl oz/1/8 cup) coconut oil
- 60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) rice malt syrup,
- 1/2 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 15 g (1/2 oz/1/4 cup) coconut flakes
- almond milk, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the quinoa, nuts, walnuts, cranberries, sunflower seeds, pepitas, almond flakes, flaxseeds, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Place the coconut butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until it has melted.
- Add the rice malt syrup and vanilla and stir for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir well, ensuring the dry ingredients are coated thoroughly.
- Transfer the granola to the baking tray in a single layer, then cook in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking up any clumps that form.
- Remove from the oven, add the coconut flakes, and bake for a further 5 minutes
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- To serve, place in a bowl and top with almond milk. It also tastes great on its own. This granola keeps for 4 weeks in an airtight container in a cool dry place.