GF | WF | DF | SF
Everything just tastes better in a clay pot — even butter chicken! This version will help give your Friday-night curry a gut-friendly upgrade.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cm (114 inch) knob of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 teaspoon ground coriander
- 12 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 750 g (1 lb 10 oz) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, halved or cut into pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) tomato passata (puréed tomatoes)
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) coconut cream
- 100 g (1 lb 10 oz) roasted unsalted cashews, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large clay pot or heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion for 3–4 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for a further minute.
- Stir in the ground spices and salt and sauté for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, before adding the bay leaf, passata, coconut cream and cashews.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20–25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the lemon juice, scatter with coriander and serve with cauliflower rice or your choice of accompaniment.
‘Images and recipes from Supercharge Your Gut by Lee Holmes, Murdoch Books, RRP $35.00 Photography by Steve Brown’