Our resident Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor Melissa Fine shares eight simple snacks to get you past that 3pm slump – the healthy way.
1. Medjool-stuffed date : My go-to snack when I’m craving something sweet with my cup of tea, but want to keep it small and healthy. Plump Medjool dates are like nature’s caramel – Pit one and stuff it with a teaspoon of 100% almond or peanut butter for a balanced, satisfying snack.
2. Greek yoghurt : Look for unsweetened, strained varieties for minimal sugar and maximum protein; A single-serve tub of thick strained yoghurt can have up to 17 g protein – That’s a lot! Top with ground cinnamon for sweetness… A great arvo snack if you’re hitting the gym after work and need something to keep you going.
3. Luv Sum Choc, Chia and Nut Ball : Packed with energising, B-vitamin-rich nuts, fibre-rich chia and a touch of dark chocolate to satisfy a sweet craving, this is great option when you haven’t had time to prep a healthy snack – Keep one in your handbag or desk draw at work so that you don’t end up making an impulse purchase from the vending machine/local café come “3.30itis”.
4. Green tea: There’s something about green tea that really satisfies…I’m not sure if it’s something to do with the fact that I know it’s good for me, or that it’s astringency helps me get past a sweet craving. A cup of green is also a good substitute for your afternoon cappuccino, giving you a kilojoule-free caffeine hit in a gentler dose than coffee.
5. A handful of raw nuts: A wholesome, real-food snack, packed with filling fibre, healthy fats and some blood-sugar stabilising protein. Know you can’t stop at one handful? Make portion-controlled snack bags of your favourite nuts so that you don’t end up eating the whole bag… My favourites are omega-3 rich walnuts and almonds, packed with calcium and vitamin E.
6. Banana Berry ‘Froyo’ (Vegan): For two serves, in the blender combine 1 large frozen banana and ¼ C frozen berries; Blend until smooth and serve! A great alternative to highly processed, refined-sugar laden frozen desserts… The banana makes this nice and creamy too, so there’s no need to add milk.
7. Veg crudités with 1 tablespoon of 100% tahini: An ideal snack if you’re trying to up your daily veggie intake. Plus, carrot/capsicum/celery sticks really encourage you to chew, which along with their fibre content, makes for a satiating snack. Prep the night before and take these with you to work if you need something to tide you over between lunch and dinner.
8. Kombucha: This fizzy, fermented iced tea really gives me a buzz… I love it as a substitute for that second coffee I’m craving. Full of good-for-your-gut probiotics too. Find it at your local health food store.
To find out more about Luv Sum’s Choc, Chia and Nut energy and protein snack go to: www.luvsum.com.au.