By GMB Nutritionist Melissa Fine.
If you’re not so good at guzzling your daily water, here are some fun way to pimp up a glass of H20.
We all know that we need water to survive and thrive. Every cell in our bodies relies on water to get its job done.
The health benefits of water are numerous, but to name a few:
Water aids nutrient transport##
Water takes the nutrients from our food, and through the bloodstream drives them to our cells.
Water aids digestion##
Water helps things ‘move along nicely’ down the digestive tract, alleviating constipation, removing waste, and keeping your gut happy.
Water can promote weight loss##
Thirst can be mistaken for hunger. If you’re trying to lose a few extra kgs and only drink a couple of glasses of water a day, upping your water intake may just curb your appetite.
Water keeps us cool##
Water is the main ingredient in our sweat. Perspiration helps regulate our body temperature, cooling us down on a super hot day or during a workout.
Drink Up! Water-Loving Recipes##
Legit Hot Lemon + Ginger Tonic##
Is there anything better than the lemon, ginger + honey combo for soothing a sore throat? Ginger is also nature’s digestive, being nice and soothing on an upset or bloated belly.
- Thumb-sized knob fresh ginger, cut into two chunks
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Add the ginger to a large, tall mug or a deep heatproof bowl.
- Top with 2 cups (500ml) of just-boiled water. Allow the ginger to infuse overnight, or for at least two hours if you’re impatient ;)
- Add the lemon juice and honey to the ginger infusion in the a.m., before pouring it into a small pot and bringing it to boil on the stovetop, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully ladle or pour into your favourite mug. You should have a second serve leftover for later. Allow to cool off for a minute, and then sip slowly…heaven!
Apple + Cinnamon Detox Water##
Slightly sweet and a little spicy, this combo always curbs a sweet tooth, and cinnamon’s antioxidants– polyphenols – make this a cell-protective, health-promoting tonic. Thanks Made By Fressko for the recipe!
- ½ a Pink Lady Apple, sliced
- 2 x cinnamon sticks, broken
- Add the sliced apple and cinnamon to a Fressko Flask (our current obsession!)
- Pop in the short filter.
- Fill with water and infuse.
We like this one because you get to eat the minty berries at the end.
- 3 large strawberries, cut in half, green tops removed
- Generous handful fresh mint leaves
- ½ a lime wedge, cut into two wedges
- Handful ice cubes
- Add the strawberries, mint and lime wedges to a tall glass or jar.
- Fill the glass or jar up to halfway with iced water and allow to infuse for 15-30 minutes so the flavours develop.
Immune-Boosting Kiwi Water##
Many people don’t realise how rich kiwifruit are in vitamin C…drink this baby up next time you’re feeling a little under the weather – when you really want to make sure you stay hydrated. You’ll need an infusion pitcher jug for this one, or make it in a Fressko Flask so you can drink it while you’re out and about.
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into quarters
- Place the quartered kiwis into the fruit infuser.
- Fill the jug with iced water and infuse for at least 15 minutes.
Cucumber + Mint Cooler##
An easy one to keep you cool as a cucumber!
- ½ a Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly into rounds kiwifruit
- Handful fresh mint
- Add the cucumber slices and mint leaves to a tall glass.
- Top with iced water and allow the kiwis to infuse for at least 15 minutes.
What’s your favourite way to jazz up your H20? Please share the love in the Comments…bottoms up!