Are you a fan of chia seeds but bored of eating them the same old way everyday? Here are three ways to mix it up with your chia. By Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor Melissa Fine.
Chia seeds aren’t going anywhere, because apart from being so good for you, they’re also super versatile.With just one tablespoon of chia giving you 3g of plant-based essential omega-3 and 6g of dietary fibre (that’s a lot from one spoonful!), this freckle-sized seed can be a great wholefood to incorporate into your meals on the regular.
1: Straight Up
While some seeds aren’t much fun consumed raw, this isn’t the case with chia. Try raw chia sprinkled on top of your salad, smoothie, eggs or avocado toast for some extra crunch and nutrients…both the black and white varieties make a pretty garnish and are nutritionally identical. I like to keep a couple Chia Shots from The Chia Co in my handbag as a nutritional booster to sprinkle on my lunch when I’m on the go.
By soaking your chia seeds, they become nice and gelatinous, so can be easier to digest – but remember to still chew! Soaked chia seeds also tend to be more filling because they expand and yield more volume, becoming pudding-like.
Try this D.I.Y Dark Cacao Chia Pod and see for yourself. Thanks to the The Chia Co for this awesome recipe!
- 2 Tbs chia seeds
- ½ Cup warm water
- 1 Cup almond milk
- 1.5 Tbs raw cacao
- 1 or 2 Tbs coconut sugar (or to taste)
- Mix the chia seeds with warm water and let sit for 15 minutes to form a gel.
- Combine chia gel with all other ingredients and whisk well to ensure there are no lumps of cacao.
- Refrigerate overnight, or for at least a couple of hours. Serve topped with cacao nibs, coconut or add your favourite fresh fruit. Check out the original recipe here.
If you have a sensitive stomach, it’s worth blending your chia seeds along with all your other smoothie ingredients. This way you’ll still get all the nutritional benefits from the whole chia, but in a broken down form that’s gentler on your stomach, like in my Go-To Green Smoothie:
Thanks to the magic of chia, this smoothie is super thick, sans ice cream.
- 1 very ripe banana, peeled, cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1/3 Cup milk of choice (I like coconut, almond or rice milk)
- 1-2 white Chia Shots from The Chia Co
- 1 Tbs natural almond butter (optional)
- handful ice cubes
- Add all the ingredients to a blender, spinach leaves last.
- Cover and blend until the ingredients are evenly combined and smooth.
- If you’re patient, leave the smoothie to sit for 5-10 minutes, as this will allow it to thicken…Cheers!
The Chia Co Chia Shots:100% chemical free, sun-ripened chia. A convenient way to get a nutritional boost on the go, two Chia Shots each day will provide 3g of omega-3 ALA, 6g of dietary fibre, and more than 3g of complete protein. Find out more at www.thechiaco.com