By Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor Melissa Fine.
I used to be a low fat kind of breakfast person – Wheat cereal biscuits with banana and skim milk was how I started the day. An hour or two later though and I’d feel lightheaded, have a grumbling stomach and be ready for lunch.
It wasn’t until my Nutrition studies that I learnt to let go of the high fat food stigma – Gradually, I introduced more fat into my diet. Did I gain weight? Nope! I actually lost a couple of kilos.
A few things about fat…It delays gastric emptying so keeps you fuller for longer. And as I’ve mentioned before, the well-rounded mouth feel of fat lingers in the mouth, leaving you satisfied long after eating. That’s another thing with good-for-you dietary fats found in foods like olive oil and raw nuts – A little bit goes a long way, so you’re unlikely to eat too much of them; I find that if I include fat with each meal, I actually eat less.
Sub your 97% fat free cereal flakes with one of these high fat brekkies below and see if you feel the difference.
1) Protein Pancakes
Serves 1 (Makes 3-4 small pancakes)
- 2 tsp coconut or macadamia oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ C LSA (Linseed/Sunflower Seed/Almond Meal mix)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp coconut sugar or 1-2 drops stevia for a sugar free option
- Mix dry ingredients in a mug or bowl until evenly combined. Add wet ingredients and mix well. Leave mixture to sit for a few minutes so that it sets and thickens up nicely.
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan to medium heat and then grease it with remaining tsp of oil.
- Pour ¼ C of batter from a large spoon/measuring jug into the pan. Cook for approx. 2 mins or until bubbles start to form. Flip and cook until other side is cooked through and golden. You should be able to cook all the pancakes at the same time.
- Top with a dollop of unsweetened Greek or coconut yoghurt, a sprinkle of cinnamon and handful of berries for natural sweetness and pop of colour.
2) Sunny Side Up Spiced Eggs
A great way to spice your standard fried eggs:
Crack one egg into a small bowl and carefully pour into an olive-oil greased frying pan on medium heat. Repeat with a second egg. While the eggs are setting, add a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes and a pinch of sea salt. Cook until the whites are set and the yolk is cooked to your liking. Gently remove eggs from pan with a spatula and serve with a slice of sourdough toast and/or a side of sautéed spinach. Top with a handful of spiced nuts for extra protein, healthy fats and fibre – BiteSmart’s portion-controlled packs of Paprika Dusted Organic Cashews or Almonds are perfect for this dish, giving it more kick and crunch.
3) One Minute Microwave Paleo ‘Bread’
- 1 tsp olive or macadamia oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp rice malt syrup or honey, or 1 drop stevia
- ¼ C almond meal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- In a tall mug, whisk oil, egg and rice malt/honey/stevia with a fork until evenly combined. Add dry ingredients to the mug and mix well with a spoon.
- Leave mixture for 5-10 mins – You can skip the wait-time, but the longer you leave it, the more it will rise when cooked.
- Microwave on high for 1 min, or until the top looks cooked through.
- Flip mug upside-down on a plate; It should slide out easily. Leave to cool for a minute or two and then cut in half lengthways – You now have two slices of ‘bread’!
- Top with a little smashed avocado and you have a brekkie that should keep you going all morning :D
BiteSmart: Paprika Dusted Organic Cashews or Almonds
BiteSmart means healthier and more convenient snack foods for busy bodies. All our products are free of preservatives and artificial additives, and made with 100% natural and/or organic ingredients. Keep your diet in check with this gluten free blend of smoky paprika dusted organic cashews or almonds, chickpeas and pepitas. Packing a high protein, high fibre punch, this all day snack companion will keep the hunger pangs at bay. bitesmart.com @BITESMART